Pregnancy Diaries

Daily Posts #90-93: My Childbirth Experience (Part 2)

My Childbirth Experience (Part 1)

I spent the night of January 1 in the hospital alone since even Aaron is not allowed to stay overnight in the ward. The midwife on-duty that night checked my BP twice: one at 2 AM and the next one at 6 AM. Both readings came out to be at 130/85 which is no longer that bad compared to the readings that they were getting yesterday.

7:00 AM

I wasn’t able to go back to sleep anymore after the midwife took the last reading. It was a good thing that my breakfast was brought in earlier than scheduled.

As I was eating my breakfast, a doctor came in to check on me along wih two trainee doctors. They asked me how I was feeling. I told them I was feeling great because I really do. No below-chest pains, headaches or feeling of dizziness. The doctor explained to me that though my BP readings have already gone down to normal, they still would not discharge as they still wanted to monitor my BP.  They just do not want to take the risk of discharging me only to have me back in the hospital again after a few days due to a high BP. Though I was disheartened, I know that I was in good hands. The doctor also told me that seeing the results of my tests yesterday and my BP readings, they concluded that I do have pre-eclampsia which is why they think that it is a good idea to have me induced before my BP could again increase.

I forgot to mention that the midwife and doctor on-duty did a speculum exam of my cervix the previous day and they found out that the head of my baby is still high and not yet engaged hence they told me that it is most likely that I’ll be induced with a gel to start the labour process which will allow them to eventually break my water. Nonetheless, they told me that my mucous plug has already came out.

Anyway, the doctor who just came to see me asked me if I’ve been having contractions since yesterday. I told her I am not sure since I do feel some tightenings or period-like cramps in my mid-area once in a while but they were neither uncomfortable nor painful. She nodded and told me she’ll come back to conduct an internal exam. 

Upon doing the internal exam, the doctor told me that my baby’s head is engaged and I was already 1 to 2 cm dilated. This was good news as they can then break my waters if I agree to it. She also assured me that if the dilation progresses very well, which she was so sure it will, I won’t have to be induced with the gel. They recommend the induction to be done the next day. Nonetheless, they were not pushing me into doing anything that I do not want to do and they were respectful of my choices without any sign of irritation which I deeply appreciate especially since Aaron was not yet there when the doctor visited me and I still needed to talk our options out with him.

9:00 AM

When Aaron arrived in the ward, I laid out to him everything the doctor told me. I also relayed to him why I agree with their recommendation. It was a good thing that we share the same sentiment.

9:30 AM Onwards

We spent the rest of the day just watching The Blacklist in Netflix. Aaron also brought us some home-cooked meal for us to share and enjoy. Though I am deeply impressed by the hospital's restaurant-like food offerings, nothing still beats a home-cooked Filipino dish. 

I was again left to my own device when it was again time for Aaron to go home.


To be continued...

Daily Posts #86-89: My Childbirth Experience (Part 1)

8:30 AM

Coming home at three in the morning from a New Year’s Eve party hosted by one of our Filipino family friends in their home, I woke up pretty early at 830 AM. Ever since I had been on maternity leave, I’ve been waking up at this time, at the very least, as opposed to the 530 AM or 630 AM that I was used to. Still, to wake up at 830 AM in New Year’s Day is too damn early. Anyway, I know I had to. I’ve learned my lesson. Chores will just pile up if I do not attend to them immediately.

I had been active all throughout my pregnancy. I walked a lot, moved a lot and even did prenatal yoga from 14 weeks gestation but since my belly was already heavy at 37 weeks, I was then having a harder time moving around. I remembered waking up that day to a pile of unwashed dishes in the sink. However, washing dishes is such a breeze that my pregnant self was able to finish them in record time. After which, I moved on to organizing our pantry.

10:45 AM

Before I moved on to my next task, I caught my breath first and sat beside Aaron on the sofa. While I was resting, I felt an urgent need to go to the toilet to take a big wee. No biggie, this has been happening quite a lot lately: feeling a full bladder only to find out that I do not have that much pee to dispose of. It’s just the weight of the baby putting pressure on to my bladder.

When I went to the restroom, I discovered that I was bleeding. It was not mucous-like with a tinge of blood like what I was expecting a “show” to be but a period-like bleed. Recounting things that I’ve read and were told to watch out for, I panicked. I remembered that any vaginal bleeding during the third trimester is something that would fall as an emergency situation. I immediately called on Aaron and asked him to ring up the hospital. He said that I should do it so that I could explain it better and just handed me the phone. I explained the situation to the midwife, the midwife whom I was able to talk with on the phone asked us to come to the hospital and come straight to the emergency department and within minutes after I placed the call, we were already on our way to the hospital.

11:30 AM

On the way, I found myself singing along with the song playing on the car radio. I was trying to distract myself and to not panic. “Is there something wrong?”, “Is this it?”, “Why isn’t there any mucous plug?”. I had a lot of questions that warranted some answers!

11:50 AM

As we arrived in the hospital, Aaron dropped me off in front of the emergency department and went on to find a parking slot. I approached the midwife on-duty and she asked me to take a seat as they prepare the paperworks for me to sign. I was still waiting when Aaron arrived minutes later. After a while, the midwife again called my name, I signed some papers and she asked me to sit first and wait for her to come out. The automatic sliding door on the right of the receiving area opened and I followed the midwife as she led me to a nearby room that has some equipment. She asked me to lie down while she take my blood pressure. My BP registered to be high at 180/85. I have not gotten a reading that high ever in my life! The highest that I got prior that is 130/85 and that already made me nervous and my OB wary that she asked me to come back a week later so that she could monitor it.

The midwife checked my BP again hoping that it would register a different reading but it did not budge. She asked me if I was having any blurry visions, headache or if my rib area hurts. I was not feeling any of them so I told her no. She told me to wait so that she could get the manual BP monitor and verify the reading that she got. I became more nervous. I knew it would be higher because I was still nervous about the bleeding and seeing my BP shoot up that high made me even more anxious! She came back with the manual monitor in tow and measured my BP again. It became higher. That was when she decided to admit me and put me in one of the birthing suites.

12:30 PM

At the birthing suite, my midwife, Cara, asked me to collect for her some urine samples so that they could check the protein levels of my urine. She also took some blood samples. After getting all the samples that they needed, it just became a waiting game for us. Though my BP had already lowered down after a few hours of staying at the birthing suite, it was still high at 150/85. With this, Cara explained to me the possibility for an induction the next few days. Sometimes, pregnant women will have a high BP due to reasons that are unknown and before the BP can even have a chance to increase to an uncontrollable reading, they do suggest to induce the labour. Though I told Cara and the doctor that I was amenable to it, the doctor told me that I do not have to decide yet since we are still waiting for the results of my tests.

The result of my urine test came back pretty quickly while my blood tests follow suit. The results were all good but since my BP has to still be monitored I was transferred to the maternal ward and asked to stay for the night.


My Childbirth Experience (Part 2)

Daily Post #83: I'm On Maternity Leave

Maternity leave is on and now I am back!

I know I haven’t written for a while now and I have already missed out on a lot of daily posts but I’ll make up for them. This past month had just been so busy and tiring for this momma-to-be. With me carrying my ever-growing baby boy in my tummy, ticking off tasks from my to-do lists and still going to work until Friday last week, I really had not had much sanity and willpower left to cook up daily posts. All I ever wanted to do until last week upon arriving home from work is to just sit back and stare into nothingness. But now, I already have all the time in the world to write while we wait for our baby boy to arrive!

Aaron’s back as well which makes me so happy! He had been here for about 4 weeks now and I can’t tell you how things had become easier and lighter around here when he arrived. During times like this, it really makes a huge difference when your partner (or someone) is there with you. I know how hard it is when he is not here by my side as we had to endure it for a short time that is why this is not something that I am taking for granted. His presence is a blessing and I am thankful for it everyday.

Daily Post #58-59: To Parenthood

I had a bad case of cold yesterday. I had a runny nose, my eyes were watering and my nose was so stuffy I was not able to function properly the rest of the day. I woke up perfectly fine yesterday but I think the weird Melbourne weather got to me. It had been sunny for the last couple of weeks but Melbourne decided to mess up the weather again and yesterday had been so chilly and windy.

My cold worsened as the day progressed so much so that I just cooked up some instant noodles when I got home. Feeling that putting some vegetables would make it lesser of an evil, I put some  cabbage strips in the soup as well. The hot soup was pure bliss! I felt a little bit better after downing a bowl of it. I normally can’t finish a packet of instant noodles in one meal but I kept coming back and refilling my bowl that I was able to finish the whole thing. I did really feel that my energy is depleted that I just ate my heart out.

After I was done eating, I sat on the couch and tried to read a book but since nothing was registering to me, I dropped it and just decided to lie down on the couch, put a blanket on top of me and watch TV shows away. ♥

Aaron had been messaging me links of Manila-based online shops selling pregnancy, post-pregnancy and baby items that day. I think he did realize that there’s only a month left before he comes back here again and less than 3 months before the baby comes! I was just so out of it that day that I was only able to check out the links that he had shared after I took a nap.

I find it so amusing that most of our talks are now concentrated on the baby. If it is not anticipation for his arrival, it would most likely be how crazily strong his movements are now compared to before. We are just so caught up with the novelty of all of these that all we ever talk about is him! Nothing else! And I think this is so normal. I also try to share as much as I can with Aaron so that he would not be left out on how Bibibam‘s doing and his developments. Whenever I’m experiencing hard kicks and strong movements from our baby, I would try to take a video of him and send it to Aaron. If I am not able to, I’d just try to describe it to Aaron as vividly as I could for him to get the idea.

This is just a nerve-wracking and exciting situation to be in for both of us - knowing that months from now we will be transitioning from just a married couple to parents. It feels so surreal and I think it will become more surreal as we get closer and closer to that day. Add to it the fact that both of our families are not based here so I know that we had to step up to the plate and prepare ourselves to do this alone. I had been hearing a lot of positive things about the postnatal care that we will be getting from the midwives and how they will guide us and teach us things that we should do for our soon-to-be newborn and I am very much banking on that. And if ever we would be needing the advice and know-how’s of our families, I know that we could always just count on technology to bridge the distance between us. Anyway, I know we can do this!